Monday 3 March 2008

Elche



My feet were aching, the climb -163 stairs- pained my muscles, blood was pounding in my head, and I felt exhausted. I cursed to myself of ever wanting to climb the spiral staircase, and my thoughts escaped to a big glass of cerveza, which I surely would buy after descending to the ground again.

Dry in mouth, pushing sweaty hair straws from my eyes, I leaned over the edge of the roof. Sierra Elche was hiding in smoky grey and blue shadows and the town beneath my feet was wrapped in dull and lifeless shade of beige.

I sighed; the breed of tourists had no sense at all. Instead of sitting in a cosy café chair, sipping their wine, they climbed to a clock tower of a church.

Then the sun came.


*****

You find more of my photos of Elche in Spain here.


*****

The weekly challenge for Moody Monday is beautiful



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

163 stairs, are you kidding! Even a meetball like me could do that just like that. You should visit Pispala some day!

Mick said...

Beautiful! :D

SusuPetal said...

But you are so much younger and quicker than me, Korpun:)) And Pispala has straight stairs, no steep spiral staircase...

It was, Mick.

Elegia said...

Heei, milloin sinä tuolla muuten olit?

SusuPetal said...

Pari viikkoa sitten. Viikon reissu.

Peter said...

At least you got some good exercise! ... and the beer or the glass of wine tasted so good afterwards!

I looked also at your other photos ... and yes, the blue sky was missing on most of them. Trust you enjoyed your stay anyhow and saw some sun!

SusuPetal said...

I did enjoy my drink afterwards, Peter, I can assure you!
The day I was in Elche, was cloudy, but most of the other days were sunny. Luckily.

Trijnie said...

excersize on holydays you are crazy.
Lazy chair is better

SusuPetal said...

Oh, I like to do both, Trijnie!

GMG said...

Swing in Helsinki is quite understandable, but Elche? Were you visiting the guys that won US$262 million on December 22, 1999, (first-prize of El Gordo de Navidad, the most important Spanish National Lottery prize)? ;))

SusuPetal said...

GMG, I have no such rich friends:)) Just an ordinary touris trip to sunny Spain for a week two weeks ago...